Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The mountains never end

I find it amazing how easily I can get used to the scenery around me. The first time I saw the mountains around here I couldn’t stop staring out my window, but after just a few days here I can sleep through a beautiful mountainside drive. I guess that’s why the locals here travel to other places too. You always get used to your surroundings.

That being said, its still amazing to wake up and look out your window and see a mountain that touches the clouds. I don’t think I will ever get bored of it. We have 10 days here in total but there’s so much to do here that I’m sure I won’t get bored.

We went up another mountain yesterday in a cable car. It was called Betmerhorn. This one was 500 meters higher than the last one we went to and the best part was that it had a glacier on it. It was a hot day at the bottom but as soon as we got to the side of the mountain that had the glacier we had to put our jackets on. As Leanne said, it was almost too amazing to really appreciate.

It doesn’t look like it in this picture but this ice flow is actually a kilometer wide! It was almost like looking at a postcard when you were really there because it you see things like that in pictures but never in real life. Eventually it clicks in when you’ve been waiting there for a while and you really appreciate the view.

Here’s a picture of the mountain we went to the day before.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics and commentary, son. was the Cable car ride scary at all? do you remember going on the one over the Niagara Falls river many years ago?
Good you have 10 days in Switzerland, as I've heard it is a very beautiful country and lots to see and do. are you going to see a factory where they make all that famous Swiss Chocolate?
Have another great day!

Anonymous said...

Hello Jim and Joanne! I wanted to respond to your many greetings to me. I think being on holidays makes me lazy, I haven't updated my blog in ages! The cablecar rides (or seilbahn, as they're called here) are pretty smooth and not scary, you're usually too busy looking at the view to be scared of heights at all. Yesterday's cablecar ride was especially neat because it gave you a view of a totally different, fairytale world. There were some small villages we passed over that were so isolated that they could only be reached by cablecar, it was like something out of "Heidi". We also saw some swiss cows on the mountainside with the bells around their necks. I quickly remembered why this is my favourite country to visit. Hope you are all doing well and not sweating as much as we are!

Marc said...

Hey dad! It was really fun going up the cable car because it was sooo high. One of the ones we went on yesterday was really small too so it was a challenge getting Leanne's wheel chair in, but it worked out :) I do remember that cable car at Niagara Falls but its hard to tell what was memories and what was home movies.

I'll keep you posted on any Swiss Chocolate factory tours!

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Hi Leanne! Great to hear from you. Interesting about those villages. Do the people that live there have to use cablecars to get supplies and stuff? Sounds beautiful anyway. Why do the cows wear bells around their necks? Is it a tradition, or is it to warn the owners if they start going to far away? Just curious.

Marc, you are seeing things that I am having trouble even imagining! What an awesome opportunity! I am so happy for you (and a tiny bit jealous). ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow, great pictures! I'm glad to finally get to see some of the mountains you keep talking about! I'm really enjoying reading your posts. Thank you for continuing to give us updates.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marc and Leanne
What wonderful mountain scenery. That picture that you said was a mile wide looks like a set of tire tracks in a road so you see that you loose perspective when you are not on the scene. Glad that you are seeing things none of us, your parents and myself have seen. Take care and come back safely.
Love Grandma

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Yeah, I thought that was a road too, at first glance. Then I enlarged the picture, and you can see the people on the lower right, so it gives a better perspective. What are those tracks?

Marc said...

Yeah I thought it was some kind of tracks at first but that's actually a glacier that is very slowly moving down the mountain (about 600m a year). It's about 900 meters deep too.

Leanne says the cows wear bells so its easier to keep track of them in the mountains.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Wow, cool! Thanks for the info. That stuff about the glacier is hard to comprehend.

Anonymous said...

Hi Marc
Your dad said you didn't get my comments yesterday so I guess I did something wrong. Anyway I'm trying again. Really enjoyed your notes and photos - some really beautiful churches and scenery over there isn't there? Say Hi to Leanne and keep up the good work. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Love, Auntie Adele