Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Italia makes me angrylia

Ok I knew Europeans liked their soccer (football) but I didn't realized it was to the point it was last night here in Germany. Considering Germany lost the game last night I expected a rather quiet night while the fans here tried to take in the defeat they just experienced, but instead I heard cheers of joy and cars horns blasting throughout the city. And one nice person near us decided to bang on a drum from about midnight to 1 am! I hope the reason he stopped was because someone punched him.

On a lighter note, I got to make use of the mass transit system of Germany yesterday and it really impressed me. We wanted to go to Stuttgart so we got on the bus near the house we are staying at, took the bus to the train station, the train left about 10 minutes after we got there. Once we got to Stuttgart, we got on the subway (which is in the same building as the train station) and took it to this big tower we wanted to go to. Oh and during our trip to the train station the train drove by the road for a while and I saw there was a large traffic jam trying to get into the city. So Germany has a mass transit system that will actually get you to your destination faster than taking your car. I think that is the one thing missing from Canada's mass transit system. If you want to take the bus there you often have to double the time it takes you to get there by car.

Oh and by the way, no picture today because I forgot my flash card for my digital camera yesterday when we went out. Oh well.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice recap of the activities so far today ... I was curious how the disappointment of Germany losing to Italy would play out. sounds like they just keep on partying no matter what! Interesting about the mass transit system ... sounds great. Looking forward to the next installment and maybe a picture or two?

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying your trip Marc. Keep the pictures and posts coming as I am enjoying them all.

Love Grandma

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Yes, we are all experiencing your trip vicariously. It's great!

I laughed when I read the part about the guy blasting the horn! :>D

But why were they so noisy? Were they all drunk with disappointment?

Sounds like our city fathers should go over to Germany to learn about improved transit options.

Marc said...

I guess I forgot to mention one important fact, that the people making all the noise were Italy fans, not Germany fans. Since the World Cup is actually being played here there's fans from every country represented.

There's another game tonight so hopefully France wins because at least I'll know what they're saying when they run through the streets :P

Anonymous said...

Don't forget your card for the camera tomorrow Marc! I love the pictures! Gute Nacht!

Joanne (True Blue) said...

the people making all the noise were Italy fans, not Germany fans.

Ah, that explains it. Man, talk about adding insult to injury though!

O.K. We're cheering for France now.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

BTW, please check your email. A few important items there. Thanks!