Sunday, July 09, 2006

Headin' Out

Today we're moving on to another part of Germany for our accomidations. I can't remember exactly where but I'm sure I will eventually. If you haven't noticed already I am not the best with remembering place names :P

Yesterday I met with some new German traditions. First of all, Monika's aunt and uncle had their 50th wedding aniversary celebration. I guess here these kinds of things are almost as big as weddings here. They had a big cerimony at the church and then a reception at this fancy restaurant later. The churches all have bells they ring at certain times of the day and at the beginning of services too.

Another trandtion (which I happen to like a lot) is having coffee and cake before a big meal. That's what we did yesterday. There was sooo much good stuff but I limited myself to two pieces because I knew we were going to have so much food after. We even had eis (ice cream) after but I just shared one with Leanne because both of us are starting to put on the pounds here. lol

I also noticed that at get-togethers like that everyone shakes EVERYONE else's hand when they arrive or leave. Even if there's 40 people there they won't stop until every hand has been shaken. Its a lot of work but Germans are really about the social stuff... like at their farms instead of having them all spaced out like we do, they have all their houses in one little village and their land all goes out behind them.

I didn't take any pictures yesterday so here's a picture of a village from a few days ago.

8 comments:

Joanne (True Blue) said...

Awesome pic!

Very interesting about the hand-shaking and other traditions! Do women shake hands as much as the men?

Happy 50th Anniversary to Monika's aunt and uncle! Sounds like it was a great time.

Hope you eventually figure out the name of the town you're going to next. ;)

Anonymous said...

Wow that sounds like quite the celebration ... and for sure a 50th Anniversary is something worth 'partying' for. I don't think too many couples get to accomplish that milestone.

Was there hugs going on too, or just mostly the handshaking tradition?

So you're putting on a few pounds, eh. hahahaha. I figured that would happen. better make sure you get lots of walking in ...
btw, what was the main entree food items after the cake n coffee?

am enjoying your daily posts about the experiences. hopefully, you will have an internet connection at your next location - the one you can't remember. :-)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm Cake!
That is a yummy german tradition that I like. When i was a kid we had cake the time but not any more :(

That picture looks really german.
I hope your having lots of fun :)


Phil

Marc said...

Yeah the women shake hands as much as the men do. One person hugged me but she hugged everyone. She was a very happy person. Hugs are about as common as back home. We're in Riedlingen. I found a internet connection and I think it belongs to the people upstairs but I'm not sure.

There were soooo many different things to eat last night. There was this chicken with mushrooms, beef, schnitzel, potatoes, noodles, fries, vegetables... it was crazy!

Anonymous said...

mmmmm, food....yummy! Sounds like you are having a fantastic time!
I love the photos!

Anonymous said...

Great reply, Son ... lots of info in that one. :-)
Sounds like you're not starving, and cool that you seem to find an internet connection ...
Wireless, I pressume ;-)
wherever you go.
So did everyone watch the World Cup? either the Germany game, or the Final, or Both? I was hoping for France, but they seemed to get a bit crazy, loosing two of their best players. I started getting interested in the coverage near in the quarter-finals. So what was the atmosphere over there?

It's 9pm here as I write this, and I just cut the lawn (to even it out ... since it's mostly dead anyway). supposed to be a storm coming overnite. ttyl.

Joanne (True Blue) said...

The food sounds awesome! What a feast!

Are you speaking any German yet? Looking forward to seeing pics of Riedlingen!

Anonymous said...

Ah, so you experienced your first kaffeklutch! I found that it was usually instead of a meal rather than right before a big meal. Always delicious anyway!

Did you experience the German custom of having to pay for public washrooms yet?