Thursday, June 09, 2005

Too much power in the courts

Ok I changed my mind... I am going to say this today after all.

I think the main thing that I am concerned about in the gay marriage issue is the lack of protection for ministers who do not wish to perform same sex weddings. Now i'm sure your first reaction will be "Oh that's ridiculous! The bill addresses that issue completely!" Well here's the reason I am worried:

I believe the higher courts of Canada have way too much power. Some may remember that a few short years ago it was actually ILLEGAL for homosexual people to get married because of legislation actually put through by the Liberal party (interesting how they changed their minds so fast). But that was easily overturned by a judge who spat in the face of democracy and threw out the law. This PROVES that ultimately judges have full power over this country and nothing parlement can do can stop them. Therefore if a judge rules it is a hate crime for a minister to refuse to marry a same sex couple there's nothing that can stop them! Then we can kiss religious freedom goodbye! Hurrah! :P

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so right. That's exactly what I'm worried about.

So you have the whole day off tomorrow? You're lucky! I wish I were you. Well, for tomorrow anyway.

Anonymous said...

Hey Marc! Thought I'd check out your website. And what the hey, I'll comment as well. I think, I totally agree with you about the judges and their ability to do pretty much whatever they want. Concerning the gay marriage, you know where I stand, simply because I'm a believer in letting people have the freedom. If it doesn't affect how I live, and it's not harming anyone, then let them be. But, that's just one man's opinion. Talk to you later Marc!