Friday, June 30, 2006

An upgrade gone awry

So yesterday I got a Pentium 2.0A GHz Socket 478 CPU from eBay and I tried to install it in my system that had a Celeron 1.7 Ghz, but somehow I managed to break off part of the "retention mechanism", that is the square plastic thing that holds the heatsink to the motherboard. I also forgot that I'd need to add new thermal paste to the CPU for proper heat conduction. So I tried turning it on with a broken retention mechanism and barely any thermal paste for whatever reason and it instantly heated up to a nice 69 degrees celcius. Not exactly good for the processor. But thankfully a guy at a local computer shop had an extra rentention mechanism handy so I bought that from him, stuck on some new Artic Silver thermal paste and now it works very well :)

In other news, I'm going to Germany (as well as Switzerland and Austria) tomorrow for six weeks! Its going to be great especially since I'm going with Leanne and don't have to relive last summer. I'm very excited even though I probably won't be able to say more than "Where is the bathroom?". Leanne also payed for my plane ticket so I owe her big lol. I'll have to buy her some sweet German chocolate.

I'll try to post on here when I get internet access and hopefully some pictures too in my gallery.

No comments: