Wednesday, November 02, 2005

The CD that (could have) killed my computer

I recently bought a new CD from Switchfoot called “Nothing is Sound”. Its my new favourite CD but it has a dark side to it… not the music but what is physically on the CD. It contains Sony’s shady anti-priacy software on it. What’s so bad about this software? Well it uses something called a “rootkit” to hide itself from detection by any other software. Sony’s software can’t be uninstalled without contacting Sony and going through some hoops. See this Washington Post article for more on that. Now, I don’t pirate music and I have a legitimate CD for every MP3 on my computer (no file sharing either), but the problem is that this rootkit leaves computers open to attack by hackers and viruses because all a hacker needs to do is make a virus that starts in $sys$ and its undetectable by any anti-virus software. Fortunately, the day before I bought the cd I saw an article on Slashdot about this problem so I had a heads up. When the CD is inserted a window comes up with the license agreement. If you agree then it installs its DRM software on your computer... locking the songs to your computer and not allowing you to play them on other computers if they’re ripped from the CD. The ironic thing is that if someone did want to pirate the CD, there is nothing stopping them at all. All it took to prevent the software from being installed was to press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and close the program from the task manager and I was free to copy all the songs as MP3s onto my hard drive using Musicmatch Jukebox. Record companies need to learn that stuff like this is just going to make your legitimate customers hate them even more when people computers suddenly fill with viruses after listening to the latest CD, while doing nothing to stop piracy at all.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola Marc! I have 3 favourites songs of the Nothing is sound cd and these are The Shadow Proves The Sunshine,The Blues and Politicians :) I dont´know which cd I like the best if The Beautiful let down or this new one. Anyways, I´m glad your computer is fine :) Alma

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had no idea that was possible! Thanks for the head's up. I will be careful to not let it install that if I get one of those CDs. Thanks for the tips.

thebruce0 said...

off topic, but just an fyi - I added you to my LJ friends list by creating a syndicated feed there from your blogspot account... that is, (by about 6am tomorrow), you'll have a 'mirror' journal at www.livejournal.com/users/watermarc_atom for livejournal users to add your blog to their friends list... :) it's much nicer to have everyone on one list... if you really don't want this, lemme know... it is though, just a mirror of your public blog anyway. l8s!

Marc said...

I don't really understand but sounds good Geoff hehe